[intro] When you have added Categories to your Obodo shop, it's important that you flesh them out with images and descriptions too. Visually, this makes it easier for your human customers to find their way through your Obodo shop, but in the case of Category and In Category Descriptions, this text is read by search engine bots so it is well worth ensuring that these fields are populated too. [/intro]
Dependent on what Theme you have applied to your Obodo shop, you need to create Category Images which depict what can be found in the particular Category.
On the Obodo platform, it is strongly recommended that you upload square Category Images, as these ensure that any design theme you apply to your Obodo shop will display correctly. Rectangular images can result in blank space on display, which can negatively impact your website design and in some extreme cases, user experience too in the case of rectangular images that are smaller than the 500x500 minimal limit.
With this in mind, you can upload Category Images as small as 500x500 pixels square and as large as 2000x2000 pixels. We recommend 1024x1024 pixels square as the optimum size for your Category Images and upload .png files as opposed to .jpeg images. This is because when .jpeg file types are magnified or shrunk down they automatically lose some of their resolution, whereas .png file types will retain their finer details regardless. If you are taking photos of your own Products, we highly recommend free sites such as Canva.com (excellent for beginners to image editing) and Pixlr.com (an excellent site not unlike Photoshop) for cropping and editing your product images.
Uploading Category Images
1. When you have produced your Category Images, click the Shop tab in your Obodo shop:
2. Press the Edit Content button on the blue bar to your top right:
3. This will reveal the Edit Content buttons for each of your Categories. On some Themes - such as Floral which I'm using here - you won't see the Category Images on the Homepage, but instead, on Category Pages on any Subcategories you have set up. You need to click the Edit Content button to open the Edit Category window:
4. Click the Images & Photos tab on the top left-hand side:
5. Click the Edit button on the bottom right-hand corner of the Image field, and then select Upload New to select the Category Image from your computer, or Choose Existing if you have already uploaded your Category Image to the File Manager:
6. When the image has been uploaded, click Save & Close on the bottom right of the Edit Category window:
- How to order Products on a Category Page
- Organising your Navigation
- What Webpages do I need to create?
[contact]If you need our help with your Obodo shop, contact our Customer Support Team, who will be able to point you in the right direction. We're open from 8am-6pm weekdays and 9am-5.30pm on the weekends. If you have a non-account specific question ask the Obodo Team, join us in the Obodo Community on Facebook. [/contact]